Moxa, short for Moxibustion, is the burning of Artemisia vulgaris, or mugwort, at specific acupuncture points of the body. It is one of the oldest known medicinal herbs in the world. The moxa is often formed it into a small cone and placed on the tip of a needle or on a clay ring above the skin. Rolled versions of moxa allow for a larger are to be treated at once. The radiant heat produced by moxibustion penetrates deeply into the body to restore balance, promote circulation, and reduce pain. What is it used for?
- In pregnancy it is used to help turn a breech presentation into a more proper head down presentation for birth!
- Relieving pain & moving circulation
- Improving allergies and immunity
- Alleviating stinging/itching/discomfort from insect bites and many dermatological issues
- It is quite helpful for those who are weak, fatigued, or chronically ill, and those with menstrual or digestive disorders.